Thursday, July 3, 2008

Toddler-Appointed Time-Out

My 23-month old child has told me "bye-bye" after 20 minutes of him screaming and pointing to things he wants. He just woke up from a 3-hour nap madder than a hornet. This doesn't happen frequently, thank goodness (the "madder than the hornet" part)!

I got him what he wanted: spoon (three of them), bowl, cereal, and milk. When he had all he needed, he waved to me and said, "bye-bye." So here I sit on the couch ignoring him so that he doesn't scream at me anymore. I actually looked in his direction to see how he was doing and he was staring at me as if he were just waiting to show me he was in control or something. I smiled at him and without taking his eyes off me, he took one of his three spoons and threw it on the floor and told me "bye-bye" again.

I grabbed the lap-top that was near him and now I'm writing, hearing him nibble on his cereal. No screaming. Phew!

I wonder when I'm allowed to get off the couch and play?

4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Oh honey, I do feel your pain!

Claire said...

AM, you are FAST!!! I JUST published this post!!!

kristin said...

i don't know if i have read something funnier in a long time.

i love it.

and i love that you let yourself go in time out.

oh, yes.

Rae said...

Don't you sometimes wish that mom's would be given MORE time outs? Why is it that sitting in a corner by yourself no longer seems like a punishment after a certain age? :)
And congrats on a new house, a move, a new neighborhood. From someone still living in a very red state, I seriously feel your pain on the neighborhood politics... I live on a block that has a political sign war every November. Red. Blue. Red. Blue. Red. Blue. Red. Blue. A couple blocks away, someone had to actually put up a sign that said "Stealing Political Signs is Un-American" after her Obama signs mysteriously disappeared. Sigh. And I live in the liberal part of the city. Sigh again. I miss blue states.