Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summer has officially arrived

I grew up with the luxury of having both my parents as teachers, which we all know the best benefits are June, July, and August. I remember constantly going on several day trips to Door County (the "Cape Cod" of the Midwest), spending a few weeks at Camp Friedenswald, going on a major 3-week vacation to either the East Coast or out West somewhere, trips to my aunt and uncle's cabin on Lake Huron, and then ending with an end-of-the-summer trip north to Lake Vermillion (near the Boundary Waters in Minnesota) where my mom's family has been going for the past 55 years(!) every. summer. (Oh, the stories you hear of that tradition!)

My life schedule these days does not include three lush summer months off that I'm so very-much accustomed to due to Marc's job. This has been quite the adjustment and I'm trying to redefine summer that does not always involve a lake or some sort of travel. However, we were very lucky to score a good chunk of days that Marc could take off and we bee-lined it out of town up north to my aunt and uncle's cabin on Lake Huron.

Just EVERYTHING about this trip brings me great joy, even the drive which is mostly driving along the shoreline of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. The picture that I posted is seriously what we saw for over half of our trip. We relaxed, we had a wonderful visit with my aunt, ate really good food (that included fresh Michigan blueberries), canoed a lot, played in the water (which was the perfect temperature), read, etc, etc.

Now, THIS is what I call VACATION!





3 comments:

kclblogs said...

I so enjoyed these pictures -- its great to imagine you up there. I'm glad you had a relaxing family time.

AnnaMarie said...

SO.JEALOUS.

Rae said...

I too, am realizing the luxury of at least one parent as a teacher -- somehow 3 weeks of vacation per year doesn't live up to the summers I remember. Sigh. Glad you were able to get away for this beautiful vacation!