Thursday, August 7, 2008

Birthday Prayer


Watch over thy child, Benjamin, O Lord, as his days increase; bless and guide him wherever he may be.
Strengthen him when he stands; comfort him when discouraged or sorrowful; raise him up if he fall; and in his heart may thy peace which passeth understanding abide all the days of his life. Amen.

("For a Birthday" from The Book of Common Prayer)

This prayer is read for birthdays in my family. I'm not quite clear where or when this began on my dad's side of the family, but I know this has been happening for as long as I can remember.

Now that I'm reading it for my child, I can't help but get a bit emotional. Perhaps it has something to do with knowing I'm carrying on a small, yet important and valued, family tradition.

We had a celebratory day of Ben's life today. It was complete with sticky buns for breakfast, rides on his new bike to the park in perfect weather, surrounded by family, and phone calls from grandparents sprinkled throughout the day.

This child is loved.

Happy birthday, dear Benjamin of mine!

2 comments:

kclblogs said...

i get all teary when i hear this prayer said in unison and by memory. i didn't realize your family had this tradition too. glad to hear it! and happy, happy birthday to your little dear.

Jen said...

I remember my Mom could not get through it without crying (which I thought was a bit wierd). Amazing how I cry now whenever I hear it, especially when Aaron reads it to me on my birthday.

Pass it on!

Jen CD