Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Roasted Rhubarb

I just made this over the weekend and put it over vanilla ice cream. It was SO tasty and INCREDIBLY easy. I happened to have all the ingredients, surprisingly enough. This recipe comes from "Simply in Season" (sorry for all you literary folk out there... I can't seem to figure out underlining or italicizing publications), which for those who are not familiar, is a fantastic Mennonite-published cookbook of recipes geared towards the foods that are grown in each season. This is also an effort for us to think more about where we buy fresh food (including dairy and meat) and support our local farms. For the past few years, I've been making a real effort in buying what I can from local farms, which is actually pretty simple living in Madison. The amount of this awareness in Madison is encouraging and makes me feel hopeful with being on the brink of a food crisis and all. We have one of the largest farmer's markets in the country that surrounds the capital building every Saturday morning. It's very refreshing (literally)! I just got this book for Christmas and it is becoming a favorite.

Here are the goods for the recipe:

4 c rhubarb (chopped)
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c orange or lemon juice
2 TBL candied or fresh ginger root (I used fresh)
1 tsp orange or lemon peel

Combine in a baking pan. Spread evenly and bake in preheated 450 degrees until rhubarb is soft, but retains its shape, about 25 minutes. Stir, cool slightly, and serve over ice cream or yogurt. (We at this after it was completely cooled and it was fine)

I hope you enjoy this!

No comments: