Sunday, May 25, 2008

Spontaneous Visit with My Grandma


We took a spontaneous trip to a suburb of Chicago to do some snooping around the Crate and Barrel Outlet (talk about some serious self-control in action!) and to pop in on my grandma for an afternoon/evening visit.

She is such a dear! I love my grandma. She's a loving mother of 6, has stories of growing up during the Depression, will beat anyone at Boggle and Scrabble by leaps and bounds, she's hilarious, is gracious and non-judgmental, humble, giving, has been the strength for my grandpa who died of a long battle with cancer 11 years ago, etc, etc, ... the list goes on. I often think of her as such a role model for what I want to be when I grow up. She has faced some very difficult situations in her life and has handled them dignity, grace, and love.

She is amazing.

We had a great time with her yesterday. Ben was a little shy at first, but he was rubbing noses, getting cozy in her chair, and showing off in no time. I hope, hope, hope Ben is old enough to remember these moments.

I'm thinking we'll go back to rub noses and cuddle in chairs again soon. This was so much fun.

3 comments:

kclblogs said...

here here! cheers to grandma mitchell!

Unknown said...

You needs to tell us when you're in town!! :)

PA Grandma said...

I'm dreaming of some upcoming days in which I will get to share more time with Grandma Mitchell. For today I am soooooooo glad the three of you got to see her in her IL home. Maybe next spring I can meet you in Chicago IL and then together we can visit her. Still dreaming... with love and prayers, Your PA Mother